Beginners Spanish (Entry & Level 1)
- Start date(s):
- 15 Jan 2018
- 10 weeks
- Course Code:
- Study Mode:
- Part Time
- Attendance Type:
- Attendance Pattern:
- Framwellgate Moor Campus
- Course costs:
This course is designed to gradually develop skills to speak and understand simple Spanish in everyday contexts.
This course will give you not just language skills but also a real feel for Hispanic cultures, as it is taught by a qualified tutor who is a native speaker of the language.
By the end of the course, you will be able to speak and understand simple language and will have developed an understanding of aspects of Spanish and Latin American society and culture.
This course aims to help you learn the basics of Spanish, and further your listening and speaking skills. You will become familiar with the language through the use of interactive methods. You will practice the knowledge you have acquired in a supportive and friendly environment.
The modules will take you through a wide range of practical situations such as:
- Rules of pronunciation
- Basic grammar and common verbs
- Using greetings
- Introducing yourself and others
- Giving personal information (e.g. nationality, address, phone number)
- Giving the time
- Talking about yourself and family
- Ordering food and drink
- Expressing likes and dislikes
- Describing people
- Describing daily routine
- Describing hobbies, leisure activities and sports
- Shopping (food, clothes, other items)
- Describing holidays and weather
- Asking and giving directions
- Traveling and Holiday accommodation
- Minor health problems
- Events in the future.
Average number of hours per week
*Days and times of study are subject to change. Timetables are confirmed at the start of term.
Teaching & assessment
An interactive method of teaching and assessment is used to provide ample opportunities to practice the language in realistic contexts, with an emphasis on listening and speaking skills.
Study resources include printed materials; podcasts and video clips featuring recordings by native Spanish speakers; useful websites with a variety of online activities – which support independent learning.
There is no formal examination for this course.
If you wish to take the study of the language further, you will be able to progress onto the Level 2 Spanish (20 weeks).
Learning languages helps to:
- Develop an understanding of another society and culture
- Network with people from around the world
- Be more marketable and have a greater worth in the labour market
- Enrich and get the most out of travel experiences.
View our refund policy for 2017/18 for further and higher education programmes and full cost courses.
Find out more about course fees and financial support for UK, EU and non-EU students, plus how to pay your fees.
You are not required to have an interview to gain access to this course.
There are no entry requirments for this course.