- Start date(s):
- 26 Sep 2017
- 10 weeks
- Course Code:
- Study Mode:
- Part Time
- Attendance Type:
- Attendance Pattern:
- Framwellgate Moor Campus
- Course costs:
You will learn skills and techniques to further your hobby, profession or passion. You will gain skills and experience needed to be able to work with the sugarcrafter's key areas - sugarpaste, royal icing, modelling and sugar flowers. You will gain confidence, be inspired and learn a whole host of new sills to produce beautiful pieces of work.
This programme will give you an introduction to basic sugarcraft skills. By the end of the course you will be able to use a range of materials to shape animal characters, flowers and cake coverings. You will leave the programme with three bespoke decorated cakes.
- Week One & Two – Introduction to course, you will learn how to make a simple animal character. Weekly progression with handmade flowers on the second week.
- Week Three cover marzipan cake and decorate with things made in week 1 and 2
- Week Four – Learn how to make bows and handmade accessories using molds and tools.
- Week Five – Brush embroidery technique on a cake dummy.
- Weeks Six and Seven – large rose, leaves and filler flowers. Week Eight – making bespoke decorations for final cake.
- Week Nine split, level, fill and cover madeira cake and decorate. For the last session in Week 10 decorating cupcakes using a variety of tools and techniques.
Average number of hours per week
Day and time of study will be confirmed before the start of your course.
Teaching & assessment
Every week you will engage in practical activities which will be assessed by your tutor. Question and answer activities will be delivered throughout the course. Your tutor will recommend learning resources to help you continue practicing at home.
Equipment you will be required to purchase for your toolbox - these are items you will need every week. More equipment is required for different projects - list available on request and will be available on enrolment or through the community team. For further information please contact the Community team on 0191 375 4933.
Items you will need to get you started:
- Matt/board to work on
- Rolling pin
- Icing/fondant/sugar paste - 1 box
- Sugar paste colours/gels if you have them
- Knife (for cutting icing)
- Basic Sugarcraft tools (bone tool, veiner etc.)
- 6" cake drum/cake board
- Box to take things home in
- Brush for water
- Edible glue or pot for water
- Cornflour puff/icing sugar
- Kitchen wipes/cloth/t-towel/kitchen roll
Recommended suppliers includes supermarkets, any low price store: supermarkets, any low priced store such as B&M, cake craft suppliers or online retailers.
No previous experience is necessary. Material for the course will be needed.