Introduction to Counselling
- Start date(s):
- 21 Feb 2018
- 8 weeks
- Course Code:
- Study Mode:
- Part Time
- Attendance Type:
- Attendance Pattern:
- Framwellgate Moor Campus
- Course costs:
This course is designed to provide learners with an overview of some of the main concepts within the field of counselling. Learn to develop your listening, paraphrasing, reflecting, mirroring and non-verbal communication skills.
This course is designed for people who wish to gain an understanding of the role of a counsellor and the basic skills required to become a counsellor. No prior knowledge is required.
- Welcome, housekeeping, timetable, completing a Learning Journal, contracting and ownership of disclosure, self-disclosure and confidentiality.
- Active listening skills, paraphrasing, reflecting, mirroring, questioning.
- Reflecting feelings and clarifying, paraphrasing, summarising, timing, case study.
- Non-verbal communication – How do you feel? Developing a ‘feelings’ vocabulary, SOLER position, barriers to communication and body language.
- Giving and receiving constructive criticism, and skills practice, tutor observations, student survey.
- Empathy and skills practice, tutor observation.
- Roger’s Core Conditions and skills practice.
- Different approaches to counselling: 3 chairs activity, endings, poem, and evaluations.
Average number of hours per week
*Days and times of study are subject to change. Timetables are confirmed at the start of term.
Teaching & assessment
Every week, you will engage in practical activities which will be assessed by your tutor. Question and answer activities will be delivered throughout the course.
You can continue your study at New College Durham with the Level 2 Counselling programme.
View our refund policy for 2017/18 for further and higher education programmes and full cost courses.
Find out more about course fees and financial support for UK, EU and non-EU students, plus how to pay your fees.
Course books and resources will be recommended by your tutor. They are not included in Tuition Fee.
You are not required to have an interview to gain access to this course.
There are no entry requirments for this course.