Introduction to Sign Language and Deaf Awareness
- Start date(s):
- 23 Jan 2018
- 8 weeks
- Course Code:
- Study Mode:
- Part Time
- Attendance Type:
- Attendance Pattern:
- Framwellgate Moor Campus
- Course costs:
This course offers an introduction to British Sign Language (BSL), to allow learners to develop their communication skills.
You will learn a new rewarding language that will enable you to work with deaf people. You will also develop an understanding of the impact of hearing loss on a person's life.
This course aims to provide learners with basic signing skills and an understanding of the impact of hearing loss on a person’s life.
- Introduction to the course, BSL alphabet, question signs, sign names, numbers 1-20, statistics introducing terminology.
- Recap numbers from 1-100, colours, introduce family signs, principle of time lines, fingerspelling practice, types and causes of deafness.
- Recap, more family signs, descriptive signs, days, months and seasons, fingerspelling practice, introduction of communication tactics.
- Recap, signs for weather, methods of travel and place/country signs, fingerspelling practice, deaf culture - facial expressions and body language.
- Consolidation of signs from weeks 1-4. Group game – describing people, fingerspelling practice. Mid-course assessment - one to one with tutor.
- Recap, food and drink, fingerspelling practice, introducing principles of lip-reading.
- Recap, house and home, directions, fingerspelling practice, technical and human aids to communication.
- Consolidation of signs learned throughout the course.
- End of course assessments (1-1 with tutor), number game to reinforce knowledge.
- Evaluation and progression route discussion.
Average number of hours per week
*Days and times of study are subject to change. Timetables are confirmed at the start of term.
Teaching & assessment
Every week you will engage in practical activities, assessed by your tutor. You will work in pairs or small groups to practice signs and to participate in activities designed to increase your understanding of communication strategies with deaf and hard of hearing people.
You will have one-to-ones with your tutor, to reinforce handshapes for signs etc. and to receive feedback on your development. New topics will be introduced each week to build signing skill and knowledge. The topics will be related and will reinforce previous learning.
Please note these prices are for the current academic year and may be subject to change for our courses starting in future years.
View our refund policy for 2017/18 for further and higher education programmes and full cost courses.
Find out more about course fees and financial support for UK, EU and non-EU students, plus how to pay your fees.
You are not required to have an interview to gain access to this course.
There are no entry requirments for this course.