Photography for Beginners
- Start date(s):
- 20 Sep 2017
- 10 weeks
- Course Code:
- Study Mode:
- Part Time
- Attendance Type:
- Attendance Pattern:
- Framwellgate Moor Campus
- Course costs:
This course will cover basic photography. You will learn how to understand your camera, use the right memory cards and accessories as well as basics controls. You will learn gain a basic understanding of exposure including auto mode, aperture priority, shutter priority and manual mode and much more.
This course will give you a basic understanding of how to use your camera to take images.
- Week 1: Introduction to course, understand the basic working of a camera, understand what makes a good photograph, and understand what makes a good photographer.
- Week 2: Understand the shooting modes on a camera, understand what shutter priority is, understand what Aperture Exposure is, and understand autofocus.
- Week 3: Understand the individual modes on a camera, understand ISO speed, and understand the principles of colour temperature understand what white balance is and why we should use it.
- Week 4: Understand the basic guidelines of picture composition, be able to crop a photograph to improve composition.
- Week 5: Understand the basics of landscape photography, understand the basic guidelines of motion blur photography, understand the basic guidelines of macro (close up) photography.
- Week 6: Understand the basic guidelines of portrait photography, be able to light and pose a model and use the correct camera setting, understand what happens in professional portrait photography.
- Week 7: Understand the basic guidelines of flash photography, be able to use full in flash, how to choose light sources, using off camera flash and slow sync flash.
- Week 8: Understand the basic guidelines of how to take high speed photographs.
- Week 9: Understand the concept of manual photography and how to adjust to the exposure required.
- Week 10: How to use exposure bracketing and histograms to improve exposure technique.
Average number of hours per week
Day and time of study will be confirmed before the start of your course.
Teaching & assessment
Every week you will engage in practical activities which will be assessed by your tutor. Question and answer activities will be delivered throughout the course.
You will need to supply your own digital camera and a tripod for this course.