- All students will need to meet the College's qualifying requirements of:
- Living at least 2 miles from the College
- Attending a full-time further education course
- Having a satisfactory attendance record
- Having a satisfactory tutor report and being up-to-date with all course work/assignments
- Having satisfactory behaviour both at the College and whilst travelling on Arriva/Go North East transport
- Any grants or bursaries received from the Government, Council or other bodies for transport must be utilised in full prior to any support provided by the College.
- Flex & Travel does not apply to students aged 19+, apprentices, part-time further education students or students on higher education programmes.
- If a student fails to attend College, without notification for 4 weeks, the College will suspend the travel ticket.
- Travel is only permitted to and from College during term time weekdays. Minimum connecting times apply between services if you have to change buses to and from College.
- The student bus ticket remains the property of Arriva/Go North East and will not be valid if you no longer attend the College. Your ticket must be returned to New College Durham if you no longer attend your course. Failure to do so may result in individuals incurring the ongoing costs of the ticket.
- The College will only make payment(s) for term time, weekday travel to and from College each term up to the cost of a termly or academic year ticket. The College will not refund the cost of any tickets purchased prior to the receipt of your termly or academic year ticket.
- All student bus tickets will be issued by Arriva or Go North East.
- Travel is only permitted on Arriva or Go North East within the regions/boundaries outlined by each bus operator. If you wish to travel outside these areas, or with other travel operators, normal ticket prices apply. These tickets are not covered by the Flex and Travel scheme.
- Travel on both Arriva and Go North East are subject to the operators normal terms and conditions. The operators retain the right to refuse travel.
You will be responsible for paying for the costs of any replacement bus tickets.
All full-time students aged 16-18 living in County Durham
If you are a new or current full-time student and you meet the College qualifying requirements, you will be eligible for free travel.
To apply for Flex and Travel contact the Access Fund Administrator on 0191 375 4205 or
email email@example.com for an application form.
You must also apply to your chosen bus operator, please see the back of this guide for how to apply to Go North East or Arriva.
All full-time students aged 16-18 living outside County Durham
If you live outside County Durham, you must apply to your Local Education Authority for any travel subsidy available. New College Durham will then reimburse the difference of the cost of your bus tickets.
All students must apply direct to the College for free travel assistance, contact the Access Fund Administrator on 0191 375 4205 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form.