Study Somewhere Fantastic
Our impressive campus is a fantastic place to study and have fun. Our inspiring open spaces and modern buildings are complemented by a large outdoor Piazza, which is a great place to catch up with friends. There’s loads of space for everyone with over 500 car parking spaces available for students and also racks for bicycles.
Learning Resource Centre
With free internet access, loads of PCs and great study areas, you’ll have everything at your fingertips to help you get the most out of your time with us.
Our Learning Resources Centre houses both the Library and the e-Learning Centre. Here you’ll find over 200 networked computers, more than 65,000 books, 200 journals and a massive range of online resources and Internet access to help you with your assignments. There are areas for group work for you and your friends and a Quiet Study Area for when you just need a bit of peace to concentrate. If you need a chat with one of the Personal Learning Coaches you can find them in the Coaching & Learner Zone. If you need stationery then the e-Learning Centre can help - or you can pop along to our Media Store, which holds a full range of stationery products.
NCD Online is our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). This is a system designed to aid your learning experience. Your tutors can upload course resources/information onto NCD Online and you can access them at a time convenient to you.
NCD Online can also provide lots more including:
• important announcements, course information and discussions
• course handouts/learning resources (documents, presentations)
• links to external learning resources (websites)
• assignments and assessments
• contact details for tutors and students
• blogs, Wikis and Reflective Journals
• space to save your work
• the ability to create e-portfolios
• the ability to check your work with plagiarism software
• access to the Student Intranet
• access via Facebook and iPhones
• accessibility software to aid in the learning process. All of this is accessible at any time of the day, anywhere in the world.
All of this is accessible at any time of the day, anywhere in the world.
We have a range of services open to students and the general public. Halo, our hair and beauty salon, offers everything from the latest cut, to a relaxing massage or fake tan, which you might want before you jet off on your holidays. You can book your holiday through our own fully bonded travel agency, Global Travel.
If you’re a fitness fan then the Steps2Fitness gym is the place to head to. We offer all the latest SportsArt cardio equipment along with a great mix of free weights and resistance machines to help you get in peak physical condition. Our dedicated staff are committed to offering you the latest up to date training methods to help you achieve your goals.
There are a wide range of activities or clubs to join in our huge multipurpose sports hall and we also run Rachel Morgan Fitness classes in our exercise studio including the popular Body Pump, Body Combat, Body Jam and Body Balance.
Supporting You All The Way
ASC (Advice Support Careers) provides an impartial and confidential service if you need careers guidance, advice on student finances or personal counselling. You can contact the ASC team before you start College and throughout your Apprenticeship to discuss future options, career plans, funding opportunities, welfare issues or any personal concerns. Contact ASC on 0191 375 4400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work Based Liaison Officers
Every Apprentice is allocated their own Work Based Liaison Officer. They work from College, but will frequently visit you at your workplace and will maintain close links with your employer, to ensure you get the best out of your Apprenticeship.
Student Support and Functional Skills
We are fully committed to helping you achieve on your chosen course and have an extensive range of learning support available to you, including Dyslexia support and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
We can offer you:
• advice and support: pre-entry, on-course and for progression to further study
• assessment of support needs
• a range of highly trained staff to support you
• specialist resources and equipment
• examination arrangements.
- For further information, or to discuss your individual needs, contact the Learning Support Office on:
- Telephone 0191 375 4380
- Minicom 0191 383 2371
- SMS 07740 924847.
Functional Skills form an integral part of your programme. They are the practical skills that equip students with the necessary knowledge and understanding to use and apply English, Mathematics and ICT in everyday life. New College aims to ensure that:
• You are able to study relevant functional skills qualifications in English, Mathematics or ICT as part of your learning programme.
• You can solve problems or work independently on key tasks.
• You gain the skills you need for learning, work and adult life - including good standards of English and Mathematics. Employers want young people with good skills in English, Mathematics and ICT. Improving these skills will help you to ensure you make the most of your time at New College Durham and help you to progress to the job of your choice. It doesn’t matter which programme you choose you will also study Functional Skills qualifications.