Achievements and success
We have continually improved on our high academic standards and our student achievements rank with the best in the country. Our achievement and success rates put us in the top 10% of colleges nationally.
Grade 1 outstanding for all 5 key areas
We are extremely proud of our achievements and success. During our most recent Ofsted inspection (June 2009) the College was awarded 'outstanding' status.
Highlights of the inspection report
- We received Outstanding: Grade 1 for our effectiveness of provision, our capacity to improve, our achievements and standards, our quality of provision and our leadership and management.
- The success rates of learners aged 16 to 19 are outstanding. progression between levels and into Higher Education is excellent. Attendance rates and punctuality are very good. Learners make excellent progress in their personal development and attitude to learning.
- Teaching and learning was also praised, with our teaching staff being described as experts in their vocational areas, who use a wide range of interesting activities to ensure learners are well motivated.
- The support, advice and guidance learners receive is outstanding. It ensures high levels of retention and attendance. Induction programmes allow learners to get off to a flying start. Careers advice is outstanding.
- Leadership and management are outstanding. The College has a culture of mutual respect and shared accountability for learners' achievement.
New College Durham has also received recognition of its excellence and innovation after being awarded the prestigious ‘Beacon status’ by the Learning and Skills Improvement Service (LSIS).
Recognised for good practice
We were very pleased to be recognised by Ofsted as a excellent example of effectively tackling the challenge of developing numeracy skills. Ofsted shared our best practice with the rest of the Learning and Skills sector and highlighted our strengths including highly skilled numeracy teaching staff, very effective teamwork and communications, and close monitoring of students' progression.
Ofsted Report July 2009
Ofsted Report April 2005
Ofsted Report April 2005 Highlights