Multiply is a new government funded programme to help adults across the UK to improve their numeracy skills, confidence with numbers and gain a qualification.
How can Multiply help me or my business?
Good numeracy skills may unlock job opportunities and lead to higher wages or prepare you for further study. They also help in everyday life, such as helping children with homework and budgeting money.
Improved numeracy also matters to businesses right across the country – small and big. Businesses that develop their employees’ numeracy skills can boost productivity, increase profits, and improve employee retention.
Who can take part?
Mulitply is for adult learners 19+.
You may be employed or unemployed.
You must live or work in the Tees Valley Combined Authority area.
You do not have a GCSE Grade 4/C or higher maths qualification.
You can be:
- working towards a maths GCSE or Functional Skills
- needing specific numeracy skills for their work or progression
- taking the first step to addressing numeracy knowledge and skills gaps
- just wanting to brush up on the skills to help them get on in life and work.
What is involved?
Fun, innovative, engaging and interactive activities that effectively help improve numeracy skills in a way that is relatable to life or work.
Courses will have a maximum of 6 people per class. This is to ensure that all learners have 1-2-1 time with the tutors and is the perfect size for the fun activity challenges!
Elements of fun will be introduced through ‘activity challenges’. Skills will be developed in:
- Using numbers
- Measurement, shape and space
- Handling data
- Solving mathematical problems
Sessions will be blended and include in person classroom-based lessons (which will take place on the employer's site or at a community venue), live online sessions and 1-2-1 sessions via Teams.
All students will achieve a NCFE Entry Level 1 Certificate in Essential Maths in Everyday Life. This is a portfolio-based qualification. No Exams!
Multiply - For Employers to upskill their staff
Work based - For Employers to upskill their staff
NCD will design a bespoke 18-hour course based on the maths that is used in your workplace. We will work with you to identify where maths, shapes, measurements, data and numbers are used in everyday work and will make good use of processes and activities to explore and develop numeracy (e.g., using discounts or wastage to explore percentages, reading dials and meters, representing data such as stock levels in charts etc.).
Multiply - For adults in the Tees Valley area
Community - For adults in the Tees Valley area
Our community programmes will offer practical uses such as calculating paint volume needed for decorating, interest rates and more. Lesson plans will be contextualized to respond to and meet the learning/motivational requirements of each group. They will be held at different times and in community venues across the Tees Valley.
When and where will the courses be held?
The courses will be held across the Tees Valley at the following dates and times. You must be able to attend all the course dates.
Redcar – 1pm to 4pm on the following dates
- Tuesday 22nd November 2022
- Thursday 24th November 2022
- Tuesday 29th November 2022
- Thursday 1st December 2022
- Tuesday 13th December 2022
- Thursday 15th December 2022
Stockton – 9.30am to 1.30pm on the following dates
- Wednesday 11th January 2023
- Wednesday 18th January 2023
- Wednesday 25th January 2023
- Wednesday 1st February 2023
- Wednesday 8th February 2023
- Wednesday 15th February 2023
Middlesborough – 1pm to 4pm on the following dates
- Thursday 2nd March 2023
- Friday 3rd March 2023
- Monday 6th March 2023
- Tuesday 7th March 2023
- Wednesday 8th March 2023
- Thursday 9th March 2023
Darlington – 10am to 4pm on the following dates
- Saturday 14th January 2023
- Saturday 4th February 2023
- Saturday 25th February 2023
- Saturday 11th March 2023
- How do I find out more or book a place?