This course will provide you with a basic understanding of plumbing and will help you gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for further study.
You will have practical training in our industry standard workshops where you will gain both hands-on experience and theoretical knowledge.
Enjoy our new TV and online adverts, and find out from our students what it is like to study at a top-performing college.
Recent improvements have been made to our sophisticated plumbing facilities, as part of our £5 million redevelopment.
This course will provide you with a basic understanding of brickwork and will help you gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for further study.
This course will provide you with a basic understanding of carpentry & joinery and will help you gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for further study.
This course provides learners with a basic introduction to the decorating trade.
This course will provide you with a basic understanding of motor vehicle and will help you gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for further study.
This course provides learners with the perfect introduction to electrical installation. You will develop the essential skills and knowledge required for further study or employment.
This course aims to provide learners with the theoretical and practical skills required to work within the plumbing sector. You will study a number of units and complete a portfolio of work.
- Understand and Carry Out Safe Working Practices in Building Services Engineering
- Understand How to Communicate with others within Building Services Engineering
- Understand how to apply Environmental Protection Measures within BSE
- Understand Fundamental Scientific Principles within Building Services Engineering
- Understand and Carry Out Copper Pipe Fabrication Work for Domestic Plumbing Systems
- Understand and Carry Out Low Carbon Steel Pipe Fabrication Work for Domestic Plumbing Systems
- Understand and Carry Out Plastic Pipe Fabrication Work for Domestic Plumbing Systems
- Understand the Key Features of Domestic Plumbing Systems
- Understand and Demonstrate Techniques for Installing and Securing Plumbing Pipework.
Average number of hours per week
Practical workshop Belmont 6.5 hours
Theory Framwellgate 6.5 hours
FS, GCSE 3.5
*Days and times of study are subject to change. Timetables are confirmed at the start of term.
Teaching & assessment
You will complete three online multi-choice exams in the following areas:
- Health and Safety
- Communiction within the Construction Industry
- Environmental Issues.
A further six units will be covered within a workbook:
- Scientific principles
- Copper pipe fabrication
- Low carbon steel pipe fabrication
- Plastic pipe fabrication
- Installing and securing plumbing pipework
- Key features of domestic plumbing systems.
Maths and English
Maths and English skills are essential for the workplace and university.
There will be a range of site visits and guest speakers from the plumbing industry throughout the academic year. You will develop a range of employability skills through dedicated sessions.
You wil be encouraged to accept work placement opportunities, to gain hands-on experience and develop your skills.
You will need to be able to follow technical drawings and plans, have excellent customer care skills, good at solving problems,
excellent practical skills and an aptitude for maths, engineering and science.
Please note these prices are for the current academic year and may be subject to change for our courses starting in future years.
Find out more about course fees and financial support for UK, EU and non-EU students, plus how to pay your fees.
View our refund policy for further and higher education programmes (page 2) and full cost courses.
You will be required to purchase boots and overalls.
To assess your suitability to the course, you will have an interview with a member of the curriculum team.
Find out more information about your college interview.
No formal qualifications are required, however, GCSE's at grade D are desirable. Additional support will be provided if required.