Level 1 Diploma Uniformed Services
- Start date(s):
- 7 Sep 2020
- 1 year
- Level 1
- Course Code:
- Study Mode:
- Full Time
- Attendance Type:
- Attendance Pattern:
- Awarded by:
- Framwellgate Moor Campus
- Course costs:
- Currently unavailable
Course details may be subject to change
This qualification aims to provide you with the skills and knowledge to start your journey to becoming an informed and prepared potential recruit.
The course will provide you with an insight into the practical qualities you require, not only for uniformed services, but also for employment in general. You will develop a range of transferable skills, such as teamwork, communication, self-discipline, time management and navigation.
This qualification aims to provide you with the skills and knowledge to start your journey to becoming an informed and prepared potential recruit. You will progress to prepare to make a recruitment application or provide a basis for further study and progression towards the entry qualification of a specific service.
The course will provide you with an insight into the practical qualities you require, not only for uniformed services, but also for employment in general.
The objectives of this qualification are to provide you with:
- An understanding of the uniformed public services sector.
- The opportunity to investigate career opportunities in the uniformed services.
- The opportunity to investigate volunteering roles and the transferable workplace skills volunteering can provide.
- The ability to prepare for a recruitment interview.
- An understanding of the personal commitment and fitness requirements needed to be employed in a uniformed service role.
- The opportunity to understand and develop the skills and qualities needed to work in a range of uniformed services, e.g. teamwork, communication, self-discipline, time management, navigation and drill.
- Investigate employment opportunities in the uniformed services - This unit will help you to gain an insight into employment opportunities within the uniformed services. You will know the standard requirements for entry and the main stages of the recruitment process. You will also be given the opportunity to develop your interview skills.
- Well-being and physical fitness for the uniformed services - You will learn about the levels of physical fitness required by a uniformed service. You will assess your own fitness and understand how to undertake exercise safely. You will also investigate factors that affect personal health and well-being and ways to improve your own health and well-being.
- Team working skills in the uniformed services - You will learn about the benefits and requirements of team working. You will investigate how to plan effectively for teamwork and how to develop your own role within a team. You will be able to use basic foot drill within a team situation.
- Developing self-discipline for the uniformed services - You will explore issues of self-management and discipline in relation to participation within the uniformed services. You will learn the importance of discipline and the effects of a lack of discipline. You will become familiar with techniques for effective time management and understand its importance.
- Health and safety in the uniformed services - You will gain knowledge of health and safety requirements and the risk assessment process. You will also look at accident prevention and reporting.
- Carry out map reading and navigation - You will learn how to use a compass, route maps and grid references when undertaking orienteering exercises.
- Participate in competitive sport – You will participate in a competitive sport and gain an understanding of the rules and skills involved.
Day and time of study will be confirmed before the start of your course.
Teaching & assessment
A variety of assessment methods are used, including:
- Time-constrained assignments
- Case studies
- Observation of performance
Information is up-to-date and current and allows for more diverse delivery.
Maths and English
You are able to study relevant functional qualifications in English and/or maths as part of your programme to achieve a higher grade.
We have a number of key links with public services employers, such as:
- Fire Service
- Prison Service
This is to ensure you have the chance to develop essential skills, for a rewarding career on the front line, such as teamwork, problem solving, communication, adaptability, fitness, health and safety.
You will be given the opportunity to take part in a meaningful work placement. You might not be able to attend all opportunities offered, therefore, are encouraged to source your own work experience. A work placement will allow you to develop the essential work related skills ready for entry to employment.
To assist in gaining experience of service life the following activities are available:
- Visits and trips to a range of the public services
- Volunteering opportunities with organisations, such as the Forestry Commission and Hamsterley Trailblazers.
You could progress to Level 2 Uniformed Services at New College Durham.
You will be expected to wear a uniform – this will cost approximately £23.
Additional costs for trips and visits will be approximately £30.
You will be invited to attend an informal interview at the College.
The interview will include:
- A group presentation, discussing the College’s expectations and more information about the course.
- One-to-one interview with a member of the public services team.
You will be asked a range of questions during your interview so we can find out more about you, your interests and your strengths.
You will hold 4 GCSEs at grade 2-1 or above (E-G).