This course will provide you with an excellent understanding of plumbing and will help you gain the knowledge and skills to prepare you for a career in this sector.
You will have practical training in our industry standard workshops where you will gain both hands-on experience and theoretical knowledge.
Recent improvements have been made to our sophisticated plumbing facilities, as part of our £5 million redevelopment.
Enjoy our new TV and online adverts, and find out from our students what it is like to study at a top-performing college.
This intermediate course will prepare you for further study or a career in the industry.
This course aims to provide learners with the theoretical and practical skills required to work within the plumbing sector. You will study a number of units and complete a portfolio of work, as well as seven theory exams.
- Understand and Carry Out Safe Working Practices in Building Services Engineering
- Understand How to Communicate with others within Building Services Engineering
- Understand how to apply Environmental Protection Measures within BSE
- Understand how to apply Scientific Principles within MES
- Understand and Carry Out Site Preparation, and Pipework Fabrication Techniques for Domestic Plumbing and Heating Systems
- Understand and apply Domestic Cold Water System Installation and Maintenance Techniques
- Understand and Apply Domestic Hot Water System Installation and Maintenance Techniques
- Understand and Apply Domestic Central Heating System Installation and Maintenance Techniques
- Understand and Apply Domestic Rainwater System Installation and Maintenance Techniques
- Understand and Apply Domestic Above Ground Drainage System Installation and Maintenance Techniques.
Average number of hours per week
Plumbing Theory 6.5 Hours
Practical 6.5 hours
*Days and times of study are subject to change. Timetables are confirmed at the start of term.
Teaching & assessment
You will complete five practical assessments and seven multi-choice theroy exams.
Maths and English
Maths and English skills are essential for the workplace and university.
Our links with industry allow you to gain knowledge from guest speakers, visits to industry, and entry into local and national plumbing competitions.
You will be given the opportunity to work with local employers to gain hands-on experience and develop your skills.
Christopher chose to complete the Level 2 Apprenticeship in Plumbing with New College Durham due to the colleges' good reputation for construction training.
You will need to be able to follow technical drawings and plans, have excellent customer care skills, good at solving problems,
excellent practical skills and an aptitude for maths, engineering and science.
Please note these prices are for the current academic year and may be subject to change for our courses starting in future years.
Find out more about course fees and financial support for UK, EU and non-EU students, plus how to pay your fees.
View our refund policy for further and higher education programmes (page 2) and full cost courses.
You will be required to purchase boots and overalls.
To assess your suitability to the course, you will have an interview with a member of the curriculum team and undertake initial assessments in literacy, numeracy and practical skills.
You will hold a minimum of grade C (or equivalent) in maths, science and English, or a Level 1 qualification in a relevant subject.