Level 3 Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning
- Start date(s):
- 7 Sep 2020
- 30 weeks
- Level 3
- Course Code:
- Study Mode:
- Part Time
- Attendance Type:
- Attendance Pattern:
- Awarded by:
- Framwellgate Moor Campus
- Course costs:
(previous year's fees)
This advanced course will provide those working in a school environment with the required specialist knowledge and skills.
Progression through the units will allow you to further develop your skills. Completion of the course will allow you to access a range of career opportunities.
Take our virtual tour to explore the college and take a closer look at our excellent facilities. See for yourself why it’s such a great place to be!
Enjoy our new TV and online adverts, and find out from our students what it is like to study at a top-performing college.
This course reflects the increasing professionalism of the support assistant's role. It will provide you with the knowledge and skills needed to work with young people in a school environment.
The mandatory units cover:
- Children and young people's development
- Communication and professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Safeguarding the wellbeing of children and young people
- The importance of equality, diversity and inclusion
- Supporting positive behaviour
- Supporting learners in the classroom
- Understanding the role of schools as learning organisations within the community.
Optional units will depend on which job role you wish to pursue within the sector. Your assessor will guide you in your choice.
*Days and times of study are subject to change. Timetables are confirmed at the start of term.
Teaching & assessment
You will have access to support from the programme tutor and work based assessor. You can access college support services if required.
You will link theory to professional practice in a real work environment. You will share good practice with colleagues and team members.
You will need to secure a voluntary placement in a primary school.
You could progress to a higher education qualification, such as a foundation degree, at New College Durham.
View our refund policy for further and higher education programmes (page 2) and full cost courses.
Please note these prices are for the current academic year and may be subject to change for our courses starting in future years.
Find out more about course fees and financial support for UK, EU and non-EU students, plus how to pay your fees.
You will attend a one-to-one interview. Please bring your predicted grades and submit two references.
- GCSE in English Language at grade C or above
- Relevant Level 2 qualification in Childcare
- At least six months experience as a Key Stage 1 (or above) support teacher
- Clear enhanced DBS check
- Employment or voluntary placement in school 2 days a week.