Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship Construction Design and Build Technician
- Start date(s):
- 1 Aug 2021
- 2 years
- Level 4
- Credit Value:
- Course Code:
- Study Mode:
- Part Time
- Attendance Type:
- Attendance Pattern:
- Awarded by:
- Framwellgate Moor Campus
- Course costs:
- Currently unavailable
Course details may be subject to change
This apprenticeship standard is to prove competence as a Construction Design and Build Technician.
Typical job titles could include Assistant Design Co-ordinator or Design and Build Co-ordinator.
In the case of SME construction companies, the roles are likely to include Design Co-ordinator or Design Manager. They are associated with the co-ordination of design information on construction projects and are based on construction sites with occasional time in offices.
This apprenticeship is to develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to become a competent Construction Design and Build Technician.
The main duties and tasks of a Construction Design and Build Technician are:
- Identification of client requirements in construction projects
- Identification of health and safety risks in the design of projects
- Checking of compliance with regulations on a construction project
- The minimisation of the environmental impact of construction projects
- Assisting architects with the development of detailed design on a construction project
- Co-ordinate design information on a construction project
- Monitoring of quality on a construction project
- Assisting commercial staff with the monitoring of costs on a construction project.
- Construction Technology
- Construction Practice and Management
- Construction Information
- Principles of Structural Design
- Mathematics for Construction
- Measuring and Setting Out
- Science and Materials
- Individual Project.
Knowledge & Skills
- Client Requirements
- Health & Safety
- Construction Technology
- Develop Designs
- Design Documentation
- Monitor Compliance
- Monitor Costs.
- Professional Judgement
- Commitment to Code of Ethics
- Continuing Professional Development
- Commitment to Equality and Diversity
- Communicate Effectively
- Work in Teams
- Demonstrate Innovation.
Day and time of study will be confirmed before the start of your course.
Teaching & assessment
Each unit will use different teaching and learning strategies, depending upon the nature of the subject. The teaching and learning strategies will include a combination of different approaches, including:
- Academic Tutorials
- Site visits
- Group work
- Practical work
You will also meet regularly with your Apprenticeship Skills Coordinator in the workplace to monitor your progress against the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours required for the apprenticeship End Point Assessment.
We have many strong links to provide you with opportunities to further your knowledge, such as guest speakers and visits to industry.
This is an employer led qualification and you should be employed in the construction sector and will attend college on a day release basis. Gaining experience in a real working environment is imperative to meet the knowledge, skills, and behaviour requirements of this programme which will be driven by your designated workplace mentor.
Progression to a Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction or Civil Engineering at New College Durham or a relevant subject/Degree Apprenticeship at university.
You will attend college on a day-release basis. You will also be expected to conduct additional independent study during your own time away from college to complete the programme.
You will hold:
- At least five GCSEs at grade 9-4 (A*-C)
- Or a related BTEC qualification at Level 3
- Or 2 relevant STEM A-Levels
- Employment in the construction sector
- Industry experience at Level 3 is preferred, however, all relevant experience will be considered.
In addition to the above, you will be required to have maths and English Language qualifications at a minimum of Level 2 before commencement of the course. If you wish to pursue a career in Civil Engineering a GCSE grade 6/B in maths is recommended.