Level 4 Professional Diploma Accounting (AAT)
- Start date(s):
- 14 Sep 2020
- 1.5 years
- Level 4
- Course Code:
- Study Mode:
- Part Time
- Attendance Type:
- Attendance Pattern:
- Daytime, Evening
- Awarded by:
- AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians)
- Framwellgate Moor Campus
- Course costs:
- Full Cost Course - £2250
(previous year's fees)
This is an advanced level course that will introduce you to the accounting standards used in the drafting of financial statements for companies and groups of companies.
Company financial performance is explored by way of variance and ratio analysis, which is complemented by budgeting.
If you are aged 16-19 and wish to complete this qualification, you must do so as part of an apprenticeship programme.
Our business students use the college spaces to host events. Take a look around our Innovation and Enterprise Hub.
We offer a wide range of degrees, higher apprenticeships and professional qualifications. Find out how our flexible higher education programmes have progressed the career of our ex-students!
New College Durham received recognition at the annual AAT Awards dinner.
You will examine the methods of preparing and assessing budgets to improve organisational performance. This course will also teach students the importance of internal control.
- Financial Statements of Limited Companies - This unit is concerned with the drafting, analysis and interpretation of financial statements of limited companies. This builds on the Foundation and Advanced levels, where the emphasis of the financial accounting units is on identifying and recording transactions in accounts and ledgers following the principles of double-entry bookkeeping, and drafting the financial statements of unincorporated organisations from the accounts and records prepared.
- Management Accounting: Budgeting - This unit is about the use of budgeting for planning, coordinating and authorising the activities of an organisation and for controlling costs. The unit provides skills and knowledge to improve the performance of an organisation by setting targets, constructing achievable plans and monitoring results.
- Management Accounting: Decision and Control - This unit is one of the mandatory Professional level units. It takes students from Advanced level costing principles and prepares them to be valuable members of a management accounting finance team. This unit was formerly known as Financial Performance.
- Accounting Systems and Control - This unit aims to enable students to demonstrate their understanding of the role of the accounting function in an organisation and the importance of internal controls in minimising the risk of loss. Students will undertake an evaluation of an accounting system to identify weaknesses and assess the impact of those weaknesses on the operation of the organisation.
Two optional units. These are chosen by the students at the start of the course and are subject to demand. We usually offer two of the four choices.
Day and time of study will be confirmed before the start of your course.
Teaching & assessment
A tutor will provide guided learning and support you in class. The class sessions are interactive and allow you to develop your skills and behaviours as a Professional Accountant. We recommend you purchase the core text books to complement your study.
You will have six computer based examinations to take which are spread throughout the academic year. These are set and marked by the AAT.
You could progress to part-time BA (Hons) Management programme at New College Durham, or a higher level professional qualification such as CIMA; ACCA; CIPFA or ICAEW.
Meet our students
Susan set up her own business, which had been her goal from the outset.
Please note these prices are for the current academic year and may be subject to change for our courses starting in future years.
Find out more about course fees and financial support for UK, EU and non-EU students, plus how to pay your fees.
The course fees include AAT membership and your first exam. Any re-sits will come at an additional cost. We recommend you purchase the core text books to complement your study. Text books are not included in the course fees.
Interviews are usually carried out over the telephone at a pre-arranged time. These can be face-to-face should you wish to come into the college. We will ask you about your current role, qualifications and experience to ensure that this programme is right for you. The interview will take approximately 20 minutes and it is quite informal.
As a minimum, you must have successfully completed Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting.