This management programme will top-up your foundation degree in a business related area to a management degree.
Course details may be subject to change
This programme will top-up your foundation degree in a business related area to a management degree. It will give you the skills to succeed in the highly competitive business environment and provide you with an excellent foundation for a wide range of business and management careers.
This versatile programme gives you the option to choose units of study that suit your interests. You can either choose the general management route, or choose from five specialised areas of business to focus your studies.
You will hold a Level 5 qualification in business, management or public administration.
If English is not your first language, you will be required to hold IELTs Level 6 or above (or equivalent).
What are the next steps?
Once you have applied to study the course via our website, you will be invited to a one-to-one interview with a member of the course team. The interview will give you and the tutor an opportunity to meet with each other for the first time.
During the interview you can discuss your management and professional skills and knowledge, as well as your motivations for studying and you will have the opportunity to ask any questions that you have about studying.
Your tutor will also be able to talk to you about any further study support we can offer you, this will form the basis of an individual learning plan.
The overall aims of the programme are to:
- Enable you to acquire and develop a range of higher level skills appropriate to the work of managers at middle level positions in private, public or voluntary sector organisations in a range of specific contexts, to include general management, international business, human resources, events, housing or sport management.
- Facilitate you to develop a deeper knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice of management and demonstrate the ability to apply such principles in a range of specific contexts, to include general management, international business, human resources, events, housing or sport management.
- Enable you to analyse and evaluate your own learning, and undertake independent self-development.
- Provide a stimulating, rigorous and challenging academic experience that fosters a commitment to lifelong learning.
Modules Studied There are four core modules:
- Contemporary Issues in Management
- Strategy & Change
- Managing Organisational Performance
- Management Project
Additionally you will opt to study one option module.
The number and type of option modules available is subject to changes in our curriculum offer, but may include:
- Human Resource Management
- International Business & Marketing
- Events & Marketing Management
- Management Law
- Managing Public, Voluntary & Community Services
- Project Management
Times of Delivery
Any times indicated are based on current courses and may be subject to change in future years. Full timetables will be confirmed at the start of each course.
Teaching and Assessment
A variety of learning and teaching methods are employed throughout the programme, including lectures, seminars, academic tutorials, group work, individual guided learning, project supervision, case studies, role plays, workshops, computer simulations and the use of information technology.
Assessments are varied and include a role-play boardroom exercise, case study analysis, management project proposal, written business reports. There will be one 3 hour examination during the course.
We have links with local organisations such as Beamish Museum, Durham County Council, Northumbrian Water, Auckland Castle, South Tyneside Homes and Gentoo. Our links provide industry based guest speakers and educational visits to give you a valuable insight into management in a wide range of business sectors.
Study further with a master's degree or a professional qualification such as CMI. Alternatively, use the knowledge and transferable skills you have gained through your degree to embark on, or progress, a career in management. Managerial roles can be found across all industries and sectors.