Register to Vote

All students who are over 16 are entitled to register to vote in the UK.  However you cannot legally vote in the UK until you are 18 years.  Unlike Universities, the College does not block register students to vote with the local Electoral Registration Office (ERO) at the County Council due to the range of electoral area’s (constituencies) our students come from.

If you are already registered to vote and your details haven't changed, you don't need to re-register to vote.

If you've never registered to vote, or have recently moved house, register now at:

How do I check if I'm registered to vote?

Every local authority holds the electoral register for their own area. There is no online electoral roll.

To check if you are registered to vote, you will need to contact your local electoral registration office (ERO).

What information Do I Need?

When registering online you’ll be required to give your name, nationality, address and your National Insurance Number.  If you don’t know your National Insurance Number you should be able to find it on a pay slip or your Student Loan letter or other official documents.

Electoral Register or the Open Register?

You’ll be asked whether you want to include your name on the ‘open register’, which can be bought by any person or organisation and is usually used to confirm name and address details. If you only want to be included on the electoral register and not the open register that’s fine, it won’t affect your ability to vote.

Term Time Address or Home Address?

Students are allowed to register at two addresses.  If you do not know where you will be leading up to an election or referendum then just register both addresses.

Any Questions

If you are unsure about registering on any of the processes involved please contact your local Electoral Registration Office.