Course details may be subject to change.
This practical course provides an excellent foundation for further study, or for a range of careers in uniformed and public service organisations including the Police, MoD, Navy, Royal Air Force and Fire Service.
Throughout the course, you will have the opportunity to develop and enhance a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for progression into the public services sector, such as leadership and team work.
You will also have the opportunity to participate in exciting practical, simulated activities with local public services providers to replicate real-life situation.
You will hold four GCSEs at grade D (or numerical equivalent) ideally in maths and English, or a foundation GNVQ.
You will be expected to wear a uniform at all times – this will cost approximately £23.
Additional costs for trips and visits will be approximately £30.
What are the next steps?
You will meet with a course tutor to find out more about the course, discuss which course is right for you and see the facilities.
Please bring your GCSE grades/predicted grades or any other relevant qualifications.
This course aims to:
- Provide an educational foundation for a range of careers in the Uniformed and Public Services
- Provide specialised studies directly relevant to individual vocations and professions within the Uniformed and Public Services, in which you are currently working or intend to seek employment
- Enable you to make an immediate contribution in employment
- Provide flexibility, knowledge, skills and motivation as a basis for your future studies and career development
- Develop your ability in a Uniformed or Public Service environment through effective use of the knowledge and skills gained in different parts of the programme
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
- Public Service Skills - you will develop an understanding of public service skills and a variety of methods of instruction. You will also explore teamwork and communication skills via hands-on activities, enabling you to meet the needs of public expectations.
- Career Planning for the Public Services - you will gain knowledge and understanding of applying and preparing for a job in your chosen public service. The unit also enables you to develop the skills needed in public services to prepare for an application process.
- Improving Health and Fitness for Entry to the Uniformed Public Services – you will study body systems, basic nutrition and lifestyle factors.
- Land Navigation by Map and Compass - this unit allows you to acquire knowledge in relation to land navigation with map, compass and route card, and to demonstrate these skills practically.
- Employment in the Uniformed Services - this unit aims to provide you with an understanding of employment opportunities in the uniformed public services. It also enables you to develop a knowledge of the main roles and conditions of service and an understanding of your main responsibilities.
- Sport and Recreation in the Public Services - this unit enables you to gain knowledge of the importance of sport and recreation in public services. You will cover the preparation, planning and participation needed for sports and recreational activities, including safety issues.
- Health and Safety in the Public Service Workplace - the aim of this unit is to enable you to gain an understanding of legal and procedural aspects of health and safety at work, as well as the role of employees and employers in maintaining good health and a knowledge of sources of support.
In addition, the course includes the development and assessment of skills in communication, working with others, leadership and decision making.
Times of Delivery
- Monday - 9am - 4pm
- Tuesday - 9am - 4pm
- Thursday - 9am - 4pm
Any times indicated are based on current courses and may be subject to change in future years. Full timetables will be confirmed at the start of each course.
Teaching and Assessment
A variety of assessment methods are used, including:
- Time-constrained assignments
- Case studies
- Observation of performance
Information is up-to-date and current and allows for more diverse delivery.
We have a number of key links with public services employers, such as:
- Fire Service
- Prison Service
- RAF, Royal Marines.
This is to ensure you have the chance to develop essential skills for a rewarding career, such as teamwork, problem solving, communication, adaptability, resilience and fitness.
You will be given the opportunity to take part in a meaningful work placement. You might not be able to attend all opportunities offered, therefore, are encouraged to source your own work experience. A work placement will allow you to develop the essential work related skills ready for entry to employment.
To assist in gaining experience of service life, you will be provided with volunteering opportunities with organisations, such as the Royal British Legion, Forestry Commission and Hamsterley Trailblazers.
For the latest news, updates and careers information for the public services sector, visit the following websites: The Army, Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Fire Service, Police, RAF, HM Prison Service , IOSH, HSE and Home Office
You could progress to a Level 3 qualification in a related subject area at New College Durham, or prepare for a career in the uniformed and public services sector.