Accessibility statement for New College Durham website
This accessibility statement applies to newdur.ac.uk
This website is run by New College Durham. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Google maps used on some Event pages and direction pages is missing alt-text. This is a third-party embed and cannot be corrected by us.
- The Recaptcha used on forms implements a hidden field which does not have a form label. This is a third-party system, we cannot correct this issue.
- Live chat appears on all pages and gives a contrast error for the text “Live Chat”. The fix is to ensure the background colour and text is contrast compliant. This is a third-party embed, we cannot correct this issue ourselves.
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- call 0191 375 4000
We’ll consider your request and get back to you.
If you cannot view the map on our ‘contact us’ page, call or email us for directions contact us.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
New College Durham is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
- WCAG 1.1.1 Non-text Content: Missing alt-text on Google maps used on some Event pages and direction pages. (This is a third-party embed, to be reviewed any progress by 3rd party Nov 2023).
- WCAG 1.1.1 Non-text Content: No form label on hidden field in Recaptcha used on forms. (This is a third-party embed, to be reviewed any progress by 3rd party Nov 2023).
- WCAG 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum): Live chat appears on all pages and gives a contrast error for the text “Live Chat”. (This is a third-party embed. The fix is to ensure the background colour and text is contrast compliant To be reviewed any progress by 3rd party Nov 2023).
- WCAG 2.1.1 Keyboard: dropdown menus along the top of the webpage are not accessible using the keyboard.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Some of our PDFs and Word documents are essential to providing our services. Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 24 April 2023. It was last reviewed on 24 April 2023.
This website was last tested on 21 April 2023. The test was carried out by Qlue using AXE and WebAIM tools.